[ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon

  • From: Mike <bellyacres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:09:29 -0400

On 05/22/2013 03:35 PM, Larry DiGioia wrote:
I think it was the Broadcom network that it missed, but I am going to do as you said anyway, it will be fun and I am rooting for Debian. I also like the unspoiled Gnome3...

I just recalled coming back home that you can do this from the initial install.

http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

There is a link on that page to download a gziped tarball of firmware. Just save it to a usb stick and have in plugged in before the install starts. The installer will then find the needed firmware and load it, then build the initrd image to include it. I just had to do this on a laptop a couple of weeks ago. The intel wireless wouldn't work without the firmware blob.

Still end up with a non DFSG system...

Mike

Subject field.