[ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon

  • From: nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 15:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 5/23/13, Larry DiGioia < wrote:

> From: Larry DiGioia <>
> Subject: [ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon
> To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, May 23, 2013, 11:50 AM
>

>     Got all the way through with slightly different hardware
> this time,
>     it didn't miss anything and it looks great! Typing
> this from
>     icedove, now that I know they renamed it!
>

>     So, I want my NVidia.
>

>     I did the non-free sources. When I go to investigate getting
>       NVidia driver, I see this:
>

>     Steps
>         3 and 4 are done for good. However, you'll have
> to repeat step 2
>         in certain situations. If you don't realize such
> a situation
>         happens, X will fail to start. You can take two
> approaches with
>         this: either remember when this will happen and try
> to prevent
>         it, or remember to come back here when your X fails
> to start.
>         Either way, you're not done for life. If X fails
> to start
>         because of this, you can again revert step 4 (by
> choosing a free
>         X driver again) and redo it when you want to retry
> using the nvidia driver
> for X.
>

>     Me no like, and I am reconsidering putting in the
> driver. Ubuntu and
>     others do not have this problem. Mageia installs the
> NVidia driver
>     by default.
>

>     OTOH, how much better is the non-free? Your thoughts?
> Remember, this
>     is still a practice install, we can do whatever we
> want.

some thoughts on open source drivers
http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/05/02/1421258/amds-open-source-linux-driver-trounces-nvidias
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?80013-Nouveau-vs-NVIDIA-Linux-Comparison-Shows-Shortcomings

basically , if you will be using the GPU for CUDA programming, you will
need , the NVIDIA-Linux driver .
i have had better luck with linux GPU programming using AMD hardware
and Catalyst driver.
even a 16 core CPU is outperformed easily by a cheap video card that
has 400 cores with a task divided by application software that uses the
graphics driver.

another Debian-based distro (was Ubuntu-based ,and before that Slackware-based)
that you may find interesting .
http://www.kali.org/
updated file recovery tools alone make this one valuable.
this one works great as 64-bit live-dvd.

Subject field.