[ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon

  • From: Chuck <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:31:54 -0400

I've seen similar things with my current laptop, which runs AMD/ATI
hardware.  Before, when using OSS drivers, I had a high frame rate, but
flaky video, after installing the non-DFSG drivers from ATI the video
has become more stable but the refresh rate has dropped to 60Hz.

Further investigation resulted in a page (URL lost...) that stated that
the new drivers are synching to the monitor's refresh rate, which makes
sense.  Why refresh the frame buffer at 2074FPS if the monitor is
refreshing at 60Hz?  I'm not sure how definitive it is, but it would be
interesting to see what happens to the refresh rate when driving a more
capable monitor... If plugging in a monitor capable of 75Hz at the
current resolution causes glxinfo to report 75Hz, then I'd say there's
something to the "theory".

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 12:30 -0400, Larry DiGioia wrote:
> OK! Here is where I find myself - I made a decision to come home to
> Debian, I have been avoiding it for probably 10 years now, but I think
> this is where I belong, at least for my main home machine.
>
> I found the CDimage that includes the blobs, which I will use. I also
> finally figured out that the blobs have nothing whatsoever to do with
> NVidia support.
>
> So on this test machine (with a Quadro FX3800) I followed the
> instructions to get the NVidia driver working. I tested with glxinfo and
> glxgears before and after. I even had to boot single-user and manually
> create a xorg.conf, which wasn't so bad after all those years of
> practice when it was the only way...!
>
> So, here are the results -
>
> "before" - glxinfo showed lots of "none" and "slow" entries (I really
> have no idea what that means anyway.)
>
> "before" glxgears showed "2074 frames/5 seconds = 415 FPS"
>
> "after" - glxinfo showed a few "none" and lots of "Ncon" entries
>
> "after" glxgears showed "302 frames/5 seconds = 60 FPS"
>
> I know something must still be wrong, but I don't care. I did a lot of
> reading about Nouveau, and my conclusion is that even if it presently
> doesn't do much, and has a few problems, it is still in the spirit of
> FOS, and will get better. I am going to stick with it.
>

> On 05/22/2013 11:53 AM, Mike wrote:
> > On 05/21/2013 09:46 PM, Silas Lang wrote:
> >>
> >> Debian: very tempting, but missed some hardware and a bit slow
> >>

> > Prepare to un DFSG your debian box.  It's probably appears slow due to
> > the free Nvidia driver.  Add "non-free" to your main repository in
> > sources.lst, apt-get update, apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree,
> > reboot.  Enjoy the life of proprietary video drivers.  This may also
> > account for you other non detected hardware.
> >
> > Mike

> > in the Subject field.

> Subject field.

Subject field.