[ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon

  • From: Larry DiGioia <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:30:28 -0400

OK! Here is where I find myself - I made a decision to come home to Debian, I have been avoiding it for probably 10 years now, but I think this is where I belong, at least for my main home machine.

I found the CDimage that includes the blobs, which I will use. I also finally figured out that the blobs have nothing whatsoever to do with NVidia support.

So on this test machine (with a Quadro FX3800) I followed the instructions to get the NVidia driver working. I tested with glxinfo and glxgears before and after. I even had to boot single-user and manually create a xorg.conf, which wasn't so bad after all those years of practice when it was the only way...!

So, here are the results -

"before" - glxinfo showed lots of "none" and "slow" entries (I really have no idea what that means anyway.)

"before" glxgears showed "2074 frames/5 seconds = 415 FPS"

"after" - glxinfo showed a few "none" and lots of "Ncon" entries

"after" glxgears showed "302 frames/5 seconds = 60 FPS"

I know something must still be wrong, but I don't care. I did a lot of reading about Nouveau, and my conclusion is that even if it presently doesn't do much, and has a few problems, it is still in the spirit of FOS, and will get better. I am going to stick with it.

On 05/22/2013 11:53 AM, Mike wrote:
On 05/21/2013 09:46 PM, Silas Lang wrote:

Debian: very tempting, but missed some hardware and a bit slow

Prepare to un DFSG your debian box. It's probably appears slow due to the free Nvidia driver. Add "non-free" to your main repository in sources.lst, apt-get update, apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree, reboot. Enjoy the life of proprietary video drivers. This may also account for you other non detected hardware.

Mike

Subject field.