[ncolug] Re: annual distro marathon

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:48:36 -0400

Because you're giving in... If you give in to running proprietary code
you're not going to scratch that itch and create your own FOSS app for the
community or encourage others to do it for you.

Yeah, that's the best I got.

I've long since given up on running totally FOSS, though when I have the
option I do and I encourage those that write the code I use.

I run Adobe's Flash, Oracle's Virtualbox with extentions, Microsoft's
Skype, Cisco's AnyConnect, Sonicwall's NetExtender, and sever other apps
that are outside the "free" realm.  For me, I try to avoid walking outside
my package manager, but that's as far limited I allow my box to be.

When FOSS options present themselves, I'm quick to drop my proprietary
solution for the FOSS alternative.  I've pretty much moved everything off
of DropBox to my servers running OwnCloud.  I've also ditched NoMachine in
favor of X2Go.  So for me, it's an ebb and flow.

In regards to hardware, I try to buy what I know supports Linux.  I try to
stick with Intel video and wireless for that reason.  Until recently when
the FOSS drivers got better, whenever I inherited a Broadcom wireless
laptop, I'd swap it out with a FOSS friendly one.  I've also pulled
dedicated video cards from machines and ran the integrated video.  I don't
do anything that requires high end graphics anyway.

Mike K.