[muglo] Re: word. 5.0/5.1 on Mac Os 9

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 09:45:45 -0500

on 3/3/03 6:02 AM, Mary Garrison at mdg2@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've copied my entire old hard disk from a dead ancient powerbook to a
> new mac that runns Mac Os 9 and 10. I can make and print new documents
> with Appleworks, and I can cut and past from word 5 into Appleworks, but
> I am unable to (a) print any document from word 5 (all that happens is
> that blank pages spew out of the printer) or (b) open word 5 documents
> in appleworks. (The old word program is in the correct applicaiton
> folder). I don't want to upgrade from word 5 if at all possible and
> would be most grateful to hear from others who've had or solved the same
> problem.
> Mary

Word 5 is only slightly compatible with OS 9 and I have no idea about OS X
Classic environment. If you want to get Word 5 files into AppleWorks you
could always try downloading the Word 5/6-95->XP plug-in. I know it allows
you to read Word 95/97/98/2000/2001/X/XP files in Word 5/6 & it might also
allow you to export to that format.

I hate to tell you this but your best bet (if you want to run Word in OS
9/X) is to upgrade to at least 98. You can probably find Word 98 or Office
98 on EBay for a reasonable price. Word 5 dates back to 1993 (1992?) and
pre-System 7 days so you're facing a big software compatibility gap (I'm
impressed that such a complex program actually *runs* in OS 9... that's a
testament to the skill of Mac OS and Micro$oft software programmers).

> (PS having found this list via google, I am wondering what Muglo stands
> for too...)

Macintosh Users Group of London (Ontario, Canada) Online. We started life as
LMUG (London Macintosh Users Group) [which itself was an offshoot (in 1986
or 87?) from the Apple Users Group IIRC], then died, then was resurrected as
the Macintosh Users Group of LOndon, which then languished with the advent
of the internet and was reborn in its current incarnation)... please correct
me if I'm wrong with the history guys & gals.

Eric.