[muglo] Re: printer for G4.

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 10:00:27 -0500

on 3/3/03 9:10 AM, Eurogarth at eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Also a cheap and cheerful dot-matrix can be had at future-shop for anywhe=
re
> from 49.00 to around 99.00 If you don=B9t want colour, turn it off and save
> the money on the cartridges. On the dot-matrix, the issue is usually how
> much ink is in the cartridges and what they cost... Can be lots cheaper o=
ver
> time to buy the the slightly more expensive dot-matrix and get bigger,
> cheaper supplies.

I'm guessing you mean inkjets when you say dot-matrix (b/c dot-matrix are
actually fetching a premium now because their only real use is wherever
carbon-copies are required). I agree: spend a little more up-front to get a
few things:

1. separate black and colour cartridges;
2. refillable black cartridges (though, they seem to be going the way of th=
dodo bird) like in the StyleWriter II or 1200 (Canon BJ2 series);
3. cheaper cartridges (price out black and colour cartridges and compare);
4. if you expect to print more than 10 colour pages in the life of your
printer (especially colour photos), you may want to check out Canon's new
line-up of printers with separate cartridges for each of the colours.

In Canon's case they've devised a new (and quite innovative) system. They
have a separate cartridge for each colour. You can get 4 colour (1 black + =
1
each of cyan magenta yellow) or 7 colour (1 black + 6 colours... awesome
print quality) print systems from them now. This basically means that you
don't have to pay through the nose when you run out of one of the colours i=
your (hyper) expensive colour cartridge -- you can replace the colour that
ran out (and, as those of you who do colour printing will know, you often
run out of one the colours before the others).

You pay more up-front for the printer, but you pay a lot less in the long
run for consumables. Basically the old axiom, 'you get what you pay for' is
true -- you can buy a cheap printer and pay through the nose for cartridges
or pay a little more and pay less for (more sensible) cartridges in the lon=
run. Since we're all Mac users we are well acquainted with the principle of
'you get what you pay for'.

> One interesting note, I went for the C42UX at Future Shop... Unlike all t=
he
> others, there was as USB cable in the box... This saved me an additional
> $30.00! The printer was listed at $69.99, but I went in asking about anot=
her
> printer (A Lexmark at $89.99 with a $20 mail-in rebate)... When I got to =
the
> store, they told me the were out of stock and only the demo model was aro=
und
> which they couldn=B9t/wouldn=B9t sell..... So pretending to get really incens=
ed
> with lines like=B2 I called ahead and was told you had stock=B2 & =B3so what
> ar=
> you prepared to do about it=B2 and asked to see the dept manager... He offe=
red
> me the C42UX @ $69.99 with an immediate in-store $20.00 rebate! No braine=
r =AD
> esp with the USB cable included in the box.

Is the C42 the replacement for the 740? (my brother got the Epson 740 when
it was the first USB printer on the market and he absolutely hates it now)

PS If you can, get a Canon BJ2x (fill in the x) if you can find a USB
version with OS X drivers -- it's a cheap (reliable) SMALL printer and the
cartridges are refillable (nearly all StyleWriters were BJ2_s of some
description (except for the 4100/4500 which were HPs)).

Eric