[muglo] Re: printer for G4.

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 19:56:54 -0500

on 2/3/03 6:36 PM, emedzon at emedzon@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> My son just got a G4 with OS 10.2. He is a musician and does not necessarily
> need a colour printer. Are there any suggstions for an economical, but
> reliable printer, perhaps a smaller laser model.
> Ted Medzon

You can pick up Mac-compatible USB lasers for a little over $300 CDN and
certainly for $400. HP, Brother and Samsung all make affordable and Mac
supported laser printers.

I would recommend that you find out what models your (his) local favourite
retailer(s) sell and go from there. Search for reviews on the web
(www.google.com and search for the printer name and review, e.g. "Brother
1470 review" and take a look at what other people said about them. CNet is a
place where you'll find many reviews. Another consideration is the cost of
consumables -- find out what toner cartridges cost and use that to estimate
TCO.

PS You will probably be able to haggle $10-30 off the price of a printer
(especially if you're in Toronto in China town (competition is *fierce*)).

The one caveat I have is to stay away from Lexmark. They are a company as
evil as Microsoft (search the web for Lexmark and DMCA (or was that DCMA)
for more details), they produce lousy printers (never liked 'em) and prevent
third party manufacturers from producing cartridges for their printers (why
they're still in business is beyond me). Plus, they've never had much of a
commitment to Macintosh (whatever accusations can be levelled at MS at least
they've always had a decent commitment to Mac, which is more than can be
said for Quark... of course, M$ can't afford to have Apple go under so they
need to keep Mac alive ;).

L8r, Eric.