[muglo] Re: word. 5.0/5.1 on Mac Os 9

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:05:31 -0500

on 4/3/03 2:55 PM, Paul Thomas at paulthomas@xxxxxxx wrote:

>> PS Netscrape is notoriously bad for dealing with e-mail character sets as
>> well.
>
> I don't normally use this except for accessing my bank account which IE
> won't handle due to lack of 256encryption!!!
>
> Paul

What version of IE are you running? The only web browser on Macintosh that
is consistently supported by on-line banks is IE 5 (support for NS 6 and 7
is hit and miss... though, 4.8.0 is good with most banks).

If you aren't running the latest version of IE I'd suggest you download the
latest version (5.1.6) from IE for OS 9, and, for OS X, I'd suggest you d/l
Apple's Safari, iCab 2.9.1, OmniWeb 4.1 (though, don't expect it to support
web standards) and the Mozilla (Netscrape) offshoot, Chimera (Camino?).
Don't bother with either Netscrape 7 or Mozilla 1.x unless you have a *fast*
>600 MHz computer or else you may find yourself frustrated if you've been
spoiled by Chimera or Safari.

Any current d/l from IE includes 128 bit encryption.

PS AVOID downloading Opera 6.0 LIKE IT WAS THE PLAGUE. I tried it out
yesterday and it's soooooo slow (well, neither is IE 5.1.6 on a 604/133) and
its web page display is soooooo buggy. I would strongly recommend that
people stick with Opera 5.0. It's sleek, well coded and the web page display
WORKS!

I tried using Yahoo Mail through Opera 6.0 and *nothing* displayed the way
it was supposed to. I had similar problems with CBC and just gave up on the
program.

Eric.