[muglo] Re: word. 5.0/5.1 on Mac Os 9

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:28:09 -0500

on 3/3/03 6:42 PM, Paul Thomas at paulthomas@xxxxxxx wrote:

> On a similar topic - I periodically get emails with peculiar characters
> which I imagine come from an IBM type computer, such as: =93fallibility=94 ; I
> imagine that it should be "fallibility" . And there are other peculiar
> characters.  Does anyone know how to translate such a document to give the
> correct characters??
>
> Paul

Ironically it's actually the Mac that's responsible for this. Since Mac OS 9
uses its own proprietary character set whenever Macs communicate with the
rest of the world bugs crop up in the system (b/c ASCII was nominally a
7-bit character code and Apple decided to make its own extension onto that
and use the full 8-bits (128 vs 256 choices) (before there was an industry
standard)).

I just noticed today that my posts were going through funny and they
normally never do (I suspect the server is doing funky stuff).

PS Netscrape is notoriously bad for dealing with e-mail character sets as
well.

Eric.