[muglo] Re: word. 5.0/5.1 on Mac Os 9

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 22:31:38 -0500

on 3/3/03 10:28 PM, Eric D. at hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> on 3/3/03 6:42 PM, Paul Thomas at paulthomas@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> On a similar topic - I periodically get emails with peculiar characters
>> which I imagine come from an IBM type computer, such as: =93fallibility=94 ;
>> imagine that it should be "fallibility" . And there are other peculiar
>> characters.  Does anyone know how to translate such a document to give the
>> correct characters??
>>
>> Paul
>
> Ironically it's actually the Mac that's responsible for this. Since Mac OS 9
> uses its own proprietary character set whenever Macs communicate with the rest
> of the world bugs crop up in the system (b/c ASCII was nominally a 7-bit
> character code and Apple decided to make its own extension onto that and use
> the full 8-bits (128 vs 256 choices) (before there was an industry standard)).

I just also realised that much of the =93 comes from the web (and, in that
regard Netscrape is also the single biggest offender of all... I wish there
would be a simple was to filter all Netscrape e-mail from my mailbox b/c 9
times out of 10 it looks downright atrocious... HTML should *never* be
permitted in e-mail).

As for how to translate these documents... don't exactly know a quick way.
You could always manually figure out what each =93 stands for and do a
find-and-replace.