[lit-ideas] Re: virtue-practical example of being taught

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 15:25:10 EST

In a message dated 1/2/2006 12:20:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

the  following (re gays stating that gay and paedophile
are different, searching  by paedophile +gay) are from
the UK +NZ, perhaps because my browser  defaults to
google.uk:

Hi,
Thanks for the links. It does showcase some of the conflict in this
situation.

Here is the official site of the North American Man/Boy Love Association.
(the political science professor at UMKC is quoted in it a couple of times in a

couple of spots...as I said, he really has done no good service towards the
whole issue of gay marriage/gays in BSA/etc. in this area...by stating that
being gay is not inborn/genetic, he is contrary to a lot of what is being
stated  elsewhere. Thus, the confusion)

_http://www.nambla.org/_ (http://www.nambla.org/)

Here are some quotes from an essay on their site (it's actually a speech
that was given) regarding Homosexuality and their movement.

As you can see, they argue *against* the issue of sexuality being inborn  and
genetically determined. They state that it is a cultural choice--and that
those who are calling for what NAMBLA states is an assimilationist position  of
homosexuality are wrong.

It is extremely interesting to read their material and the group probably  is
more vocal in some areas than in others. (like the professor here who regular
 speaks out on this issue...)

Having known far too many women and men who have been abused as children by
pedophiles (both male and female children--), I have a major problem with the
NAMBLA folk who say that there is no abuse occurring with a child who is of
the  age 14 to 18.

Discussion on the main scouting site which deals with political and social
issues has been talking about the new report that is supposed to be released
from Sweden shortly. It is reportedly going to be a major report [I've heard
nothing about it except on the scouting websites which have forums devoted to
scouting topics]--and is going to state that homosexuality is definitely
inborn.  The thinking is that this is going to radically change a lot of
viewpoint in regards to allowing gay folk into BSA.  The biggest problem is
that
NAMBLA argues against the inborn nature--and [it seems] states that they  are a
gay organization.  While it was promising to see the links you posted  which DO
state the differences and that do disassociated themselves from  it, they have
not done a very good job (at least in this area) of doing  so.

Whose job is it to monitor who says they are 'gay' or not?   I  don't know.
It does seem that NAMBLA considers itself a gay organization--and  that their
viewpoint of sexuality as simply being repressed and that boys ages  14-18
ought to be free to 'love' a grown man (I suppose they believe that girls  and
men
ought to be free to 'love' at ages 14-18, too). They state that  sexuality is
simply repressed and needs to be 'free'.

It is this group which has caused a lot of the confusion in the typical
heterosexual protective parent type. They cloud the issue. I believe that they
keep a lot of dialogue from occurring because people simply point to what they
say (ie that homosexuality is a cultural/social action and not inborn) and can
 then say that the first step towards legitimizing sex with a kid ages 14 to
18,  is to legalize/legitimize things like gay marriage, etc. and, if I were
trying  to legitimize that sort of position and to break down the 'walls'
towards it,  well, that would be a first step--so I can see the fear and
understand
it.   I do NOT think that is what is really happening--but because I can see
the fear  and understand where it is coming from and who is feeding it--well,
I can  (hopefully) do something about it.

anyway...here is a bit from that essay...

"The issue of love between men and boys has intersected  the gay movement
since the late nineteenth century, with the rise of the first  gay rights
movement in Germany. In the United States, as the gay movement has  retreated
from
its vision of sexual liberation, in favor of integration and  assimilation into
existing social and political structures, it has increasingly  sought to
marginalize even demonize cross-generational love. Pederasty - that  is, love
between a man and a youth of 12 to 18 years of age - say middle-class
homosexuals,
lesbians, and feminists, has nothing to do with gay liberation.  Some go so
far as to claim, absurdly, that it is a heterosexual phenomenon, or  even
"sexual abuse." What a travesty!
Pederasty is the main form that male homosexuality has  acquired throughout
Western civilization - and not only in the West! Pederasty  is inseparable from
the high points of Western culture - ancient Greece and the  Renaissance.
In Germany, in the late nineteenth century, pederasty was  an integral part
of the new gay movement. The first gay journal in the world -  Der Eigene,
published beginning in 1896 (one year before the formation of  the first
homosexual rights group, the Scientific Humanitarian Committee of  Magnus
Hirschfeld) -
was a pederast and anarchist journal "for male culture"  with an
individualist anarchist outlook based on the ideas of Max Stirner  (author of
Der Einzige
und sein Eigentum). Its publisher, Adolf Brand,  was a leading figure of the
gay movement throughout the first decades, until the  Nazis came to power. The
journal continued to appear until 1933. Brand died in  an Allied bombing of
Berlin in 1945."
Another leading pederast and writer, Benedict  Friedlaender, was also a
leader of Hirschfeld's committee, until 1908 when he  committed suicide. Not
unlike
today, the two groups - the pederasts in the  Gemeinschaft der Eigenen (the
Community of Self- Owners) and the  Hirschfeld group - constituted two wings of
the gay movement. Although they  collaborated in some things (for example,
both opposed the sodomy statute,  Paragraph 175), sharp ideological and sc
ientific differences separated them. In  uncanny ways, many of these
differences
persist in the quite different  circumstances of today.
"With the spread of the medical model of homosexuality in  the late
nineteenth century came an increasing influence of doctors and  psychiatrists
in the
gay movement. These viewed homosexuals as a "third sex," or  as "intermediate
sexual types" (Zwischenstufen in German), a "male soul  trapped in a female
body" (or vice versa for lesbians) - a view advanced by  Hirschfeld. The
pederasts
actively combated this view. They believed in an  inherent bisexuality of
human beings and argued that the influence of the  medical profession gave the
gay movement the aura of a hospital. Most felt that  younger and older males
were naturally attracted to each other and that  pederasty was a positive good
for society because it helped to socialize young  males and provided them with
necessary sexual outlet, thereby reducing  undesirable social phenomena such
as unwanted pregnancies and prostitution. A  few (Hans Blüher, for example,
famous for his book on the Wandervogel movement)  believed that pederasty and
male bonding provided a basis for a stronger nation  and state - a view that,
in
a perverted form, found a distorted expression in  the militarism of the
Hitler Youth.
Friedlaender, for example, ridiculed the concept of "a  poor womanly soul
languishing away in a man's body, and of the `third sex,'" and  attacked the
third sex concept as "degrading and a beggarly...pleading for  sympathy." He
insisted on a historical approach that also took into account  anthropological
evidence, and wrote: "A glance at the cultures of countries  before and outside
of
Christianity suffices to show the complete untenability of  the
[Zwischenstufen] theory. Especially in ancient Greece, most of the  military
leaders,
artists, and thinkers would have had to be 'psychic  hermaphrodites.'" _1_
(http://216.220.97.17/pederasty.htm#Footnote 1)
In their critique of the third-sex concept and their  recognition of the
ambiguities and potential bisexuality of the human animal,  the pederasts had
their feet more securely on the ground than did the larger  "mainstream" gay
movement. The third-sex argument has been thoroughly  discredited for years.
Increasingly, the assimilationist gay and lesbian groups  in the United
States, in a kind of throwback to the nineteenth century, argue  that
homosexuality
is inborn, that it is genetically determined ("we can't help  it that we're
gay, we were born that way, so please don't discriminate against  us" - an echo
of the nineteenth-century argument that practically solicits pity  and that
in no way challenges the built-in social repression of same-sex love).  The
middle-class gay movement today seeks special treatment for a special kind  of
person who has adopted a "gay" identity - "gay people" - rather than seeking
liberate the repressed sexual potential of everyone. For them, what matters
is identity, not practice. The basic argument of the gay movement today boils
down to the following: Homosexuals are born that way, and heterosexuals are
born  that way; therefore, homosexual liberation poses no threat to the status
quo and  dominance of hetersupremacy. This is the old "nature versus nurture"
argument  dressed up in new, accommodationist clothes.
The theoretical poverty of this view can be seen in the  fact that many
people - including, no doubt, some in this room change their  sexual behavior
depending on the circumstances or over the course of their  lives. If there is
genetic basis for homosexuality and heterosexuality - that  is, our behavior is
determined by our genes, rather than myriad social and  cultural variables
that differ from person to person - it is not as distinct and  mutually
exclusive
categories, but as potentials for varieties of sexual  expression that lie
within everyone's reach. (This line of antighetto thinking  has been eloquently
expressed by the late Italian gay activist Mario Mieli in  his book,
Homosexuality and Liberation.)
The real motivation behind this revival of the "inborn"  argument is
political, not scientific. The gay assimilationists want to become  part of an
existing, inequitable capitalist society, not change that society in  any
fundamental
way. Their approach is inherently selfish, not altruistic. They  seek minor
adjustments in the status quo, not radical social change. They have  been
co-opted by the heterosupremacist power structure.
One obvious contradiction in the assimilationist position  is that if
homosexual identity is inborn, as they say, then why do they oppose  freedom of
sexual expression for minors? Assimilationists argue that sexual  identity is
fixed
by age six, but they deny young people the right to enjoy  sexual pleasure
with the person of their own choice. For them, "protection" is  the key word,
not "liberation"; they call on the state to "protect" young people  from
expressing and exploring their own sexual behavior. They want to "protect"
young
people from "dirty old men" (I, incidentally, am speaking as a "dirty  [gay]
old
man" - something I take as a positive goal), but in reality are  protecting
them from themselves. They support criminalization of young people's
sexuality,
especially if it involves sex with an adult man. They condemn any  adult who
helps a young person to explore his or her sexuality. They are like  parents -
only worse, because they pretend to offer a guide to the gay  future.
Of course, money plays a role in this too. This is very  clear, for example,
in the many scandals in the United States over sex between  priests and
youths, in which the Catholic church has paid out millions of  dollars in an
effort
to resolve them. If, as has happened frequently in these  scandals, (1) the
boy came back regularly over a period of years in order to  have sex with the
priest, and (2) the "victim" waited twenty to thirty years  before denouncing
the priest, one is entitled to wonder whether his motive was  not financial
above all; and if there is a sense of guilt, it results mainly  from the
medieval
and hypocritical attitude of the church, and not  automatically, nor
necessarily, from the sexual relationship itself.
etc etc
Anyway, there's more on that site that shows how this group feels-and what it
 is doing.
That is why there is a lot of confusion and a lot of concern as to this
situation? Is homosexuality inborn and genetic or not?  Is this a fringe  group
or
not?  Would legitimizing gay marriage/families/etc open the door  for their
viewpoint to become legit?  Why or why not? (I don't think  so--but that is
because I think that there is a lack of emotional maturity  between the ages of
14-18 ... and that adult/child relationships (male to male,  male to female,
female to female) are not healthy in the emotional/sexual  connotations that
NAMBLA portrays as being fine.) But, the 'fear' is that by  legitimizing the
one,
the other will become the next item on the
Best,
Marlena in Missouri