[lit-ideas] Re: virtue-practical example of being taught

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:56:28 -0500

Paul Stone wrote:

Again, I'm talking about the word "virtuous". What is virtuous to a nazi -- stuff like, um, let see now, contributing to the 'final solution' is probably not so 'virtuous' in the eyes of the victims.

I'd like to suggest that for most Nazis, contributing to the final solution (something, surely, that most Nazis didn't even do) was a matter of fear and/or practicality, not virtue. We should always beware of the things which roll off the ends of our pens most easily. While this doesn't address Paul's point, it is nevertheless worth pointing out.