[lit-ideas] virtue-practical example of being taught

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 13:16:15 EST

The second part of the question is whether or not 'virtue' can be  taught.

I state a resounding YES.

I am also not the only one who thinks/believes so. I will point to a couple
of examples.

Both are within the Scouting movement (and were/are very similar to each
other). Both are worldwide movements--and though in the scheme of things may be

small, many of the people who have 'lived by' them, still do. (I was at an
Eagle  Court of Honor recently and one of the speakers there was talking about
how when  he is interviewed [he works for Disney-fairly high up there] for
positions and  is asked about his management style/beliefs, he paraphrases the
Scout Oath and  Law ... and explains that those are the principles that he
tries
his best to  live by. I was a Girl Scout and perhaps that is why I do the
same...the  following are a huge part of what it means to be a Scout--not just
the
survival  aspects [those are also important--and the stories told of some of
the survival  aspects of Hurricane Katrina of what some of the scouts did are
inspiring...)

You have the Girl Scout Promise and Law and the Boy Scout Oath and  Law

This is from the Girl Scouts:

Girl Scout Promise and Law
The Girl Scout Promise and Law are shared by every member of Girl Scouting.
The Girl Scout Promise is the way Girl Scouts agree to act every day toward
one  another and other people, and the Law outlines a way to act towards one
another  and the world.
The Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God* and  my country,
To help people at all  times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.
The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be
honest and  fair,
friendly and  helpful,
considerate and  caring,
courageous and strong,  and
responsible for what I say and do,
and  to
respect myself and  others,
respect  authority,
use resources  wisely,
make the world a better place,  and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.
* The word "God" can be interpreted in a number of ways,  depending on one's
spiritual beliefs. When reciting the Girl Scout Promise, it  is okay to
replace the word "God" with whatever word your spiritual beliefs  dictate.
At this point in my life, I am extremely involved in the Boy  Scout world.
Most scout troops (both boy and girl) take these attributes very  seriously. A
lot of the beginning advancement requirements focus on the survival
skills--the top three focus on merit badges and the attributes within the Scout
 Law. A
lot of the merit badges actually cause more learning on these attributes,
such as Citizenship in the Community. (I've been involved in some several
session workshops dealing with the issues in that merit badge
workshop--probably  a
reason that Irene/Andy's viewpoint towards community was touching on a 'hot
button' for me...not so much as a 'reflection' of who I was, but what I was
involved in explaining what the concept of what living in a 'community' meant
anyway. Citizenship in the World is another one I like a lot too)
The 'honorary camping program' which allows for boy scouts  (and leaders) to
continue to grow in the attributes of the Scout Oath and Law is  what I
entered into last summer and got to see what and how the boys who will  become
"Hardway Warriors" will have to think about and do in the following year.  It
was
incredible if one likes to see young people learn and grow in the  'virtues'
Anyway...here is the Boy Scout Oath and Law:
Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my  country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all  times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally  straight.
Scout Law

A Scout Is
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Just my thoughts on the practical side of whether or not these can be  taught.
Best,
Marlena in Missouri
(who reminds her immediate boss to make decisions based on these principles
when decision-making situations arise...)