[lit-ideas] Re: virtue-practical example of being taught

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 22:18:28 -0500

John McC wrote:

Still, to me, whose
civilian higher education made little or no pretense of trying to
shape my character, the statement above remains impressive.

Ursula answers: I'm made uneasy by this sentence...but can't definitively pinpoint why. I've always felt strongly that, beyond the don't take what doesn't belong to you, tell the truth, be nice to others sort of teaching, I haven't expected (or wanted) the schools to teach my children morality. And yet...I'm aware sometimes of my attempts to push or pull students towards a particular moral awareness. I feel strongly that we can't teach morality as a subject, but that we model it in the interstices of what we say and do both in and outside of the classroom. And for those students 'with ears to hear' (as an old philosophy professor of mine used to say) that can indeed be teaching.

Where did I get my morality? From my father. From books. From moral exemplars around me. From books. From friends. From books. From books. I have been well taught.

UFO
in north bay