[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:10:37 +0000

Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 3:48:39 AM, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> Medicare does not cover out of region treatment.

that was it -- sorry -- TennCare covers out-of-state trips, Medicaid doesn't
(and Medicare). This is from the NYT piece:

"In this country, rich as it is, people shouldn't have to choose whether their
child will live or die," said Angela Ray, the mother of a severely ill
12-year-old girl in Lawrenceburg. "It's amazing to me that it's come down to
this."
Her daughter, Jasmine, must take 20 extremely expensive medications every day
to control the rare stew of chronic diseases, including Elephant Man Syndrome,
that make it impossible for her to run and play. There are no doctors in
Tennessee who can treat her, so her parents must frequently drive her to
Birmingham, Ala., for care.
Soon, she may lose that care - out-of-state trips are covered by TennCare, but
not by Medicaid - and possibly, her life.

If I go to another European country and need treatment I may have to pay
upfront for all or part of it; but if I get a form something-or-other the Govt
here will refund it (most of it?!) for EU countries and any that have
reciprocal agreements with us (if we still have those) that don't simply treat
us free. Most of us do though take out private insurance when we go there on
holiday -- but the cost is, for Europe, small.

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx