[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:27:12 -0500

Why health care is so expensive?

30% to 40% goes to insurance company expenses, according to a relative who
is VP in charge of a health care system in a community near where I live.

The most efficient insurance scheme is Medicare.  Beyond that, there is an
incredible amount of fraud in the system.  This is by doctors, etc., etc.

It took me three months to get an insurance company to stop paying for my
expenses in a nursing home.  I have never been in a nursing home, except as
a visitor.

Thirty or so years ago I had co-pay on medicines.  The drug store kept
shorting me on the no. of pills.  I called the insurance co. and they told
me to take it up with the drug store.  In other words, go to the crook and
tell him to stop it.  Fat chance.

The new Medicare Prescription Bill prohibits Medicare from negotiating with
pharmaceutical companies for lower prices.  I could believe Pres. Bush won.
I thought retirees would vote against him by the zillions for this.

Veronica

Date: