[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:04:33 -0800 (PST)

The thing that I don't understand at all, is how you
can spend that much on healthcare and still not have
universal coverage?

From OECD Observer, page 8 - 9
(http://oecdpublications.gfi-nb.com/cgi-bin/OECDBookShop.storefront/EN/product/012004071E1)
2002 figures:
USA
Total healthcare expenditure: 14.6% GDP, $5267 per
capita
Of that public expenditure: 44.9%, which means 6.6%
GDP and $2364 per capita

UK
7.7 GDP, $2160
84.4, 6.5 GDP, $1823

France (often consider best care in Europe)
9.7 GDP, $2736
76%, 7.4 GDP, $2079

And rest of the OECD falls in line. So it shouldn't be
a financing issue.

Perplexed,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland