[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:50:05 +0000

Tuesday, November 23, 2004, 4:50:24 AM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Judy: "perhaps I'm being unfair on your media"

VC> No, you are not.  If I want to know about Iraq I read the BBC, Guardian,
VC> etc.  For TV, we watch the CBC.  Much more reliable than anything here.
VC> Even the NYTimes and Washington Post like to hide things several pages in.

Oh dear. I was hoping I was wrong. I did know lots of people in the US read bbc
and guardian online.

VC> Actually it will be a disaster for the car companies.  Many of us who have
VC> worked for the auto industry and draw our health benefits from them,
VC> in our case my husband, buy American cars.  Always.  We have three.  We
VC> encourage our friends to do so also, and they get a discount price.  If
VC> they renege on this, we will make it a point to never buy another one.

I can recommend a very good Volkswagen place in Missouri!

It
VC> will bankrupt them.  We are talking here about millions of people.

I hope you do manage to do something like that.

VC> My insurance comes from the state in which I live.  They are so broke they
VC> have cut education funding, medical care for the poor, raised taxes by
VC> increasing user fees (park entrance, driver's license, license plates,
VC> etc.) and we keep hearing from the Republicans, majority in both state
VC> houses that we need more tax cuts.

Sigh... there are problems here too (but our deficit is a lot smaller)here,
simply, taxes will go up if necessary.  The Tories know their chance of winning
the next election is, how shall I put it? minimal.

Incidentally: I don't know what you (plural) have been told about the length of
the US/UK "presence" in Iraq; the head of our army, the TV tells me, said our
troops will be there "for years"

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx