[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:58:21 +0000

Sunday, November 21, 2004, 10:27:12 PM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Why health care is so expensive?

VC> 30% to 40% goes to insurance company expenses, according to a relative who
VC> is VP in charge of a health care system in a community near where I live.

Ah. I didn't know whether that was included. The figures for the UK are -- I
think -- based on what the Government spends on the NHS.

VC> The new Medicare Prescription Bill prohibits Medicare from negotiating with
VC> pharmaceutical companies for lower prices.

That is extraordinary. -- perhaps not...

I could believe Pres. Bush won.
VC> I thought retirees would vote against him by the zillions for this.

Yes. I've thought lately the reason why the AARP is so much better organized
than older people here is that here people over 60 pay nothing for medicines,
too -- were some of them taken in by some promises Bush seemed to be making
about cheaper drugs for them?

 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx