[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:07:13 +0000

Monday, November 22, 2004, 6:45:37 AM, Veronica Caley wrote:

VC> Re Robert's comments about AARP and Medicare Bill, the pharmaceuticals
VC> raised their prices 12% just before the bill was signed.  Elders had to
VC> pick one of 73 companies.  They could not change companies for a year and
VC> they have a 'formulary.'  What this means is that one could only get the
VC> prescriptions that were allowed.

that's outrageous.

 So one drug would be with one company,
VC> another might be with another.  Then there is a big gap.  They will co pay
VC> for up to $2,000+ dollars, then nothing until one has reached $5,000.

VC> So, I think you can see that this was a gift to the drug companies.
VC> The whole thing is appalling and a fraud.

Yes indeed (unfortunately one of our companies is doing very well out of it --
Smith Glaxo Kline or whatever they're called -- I bet they love the US system)

 But what the Hell? At least
VC> gays aren't married.

that's right, all's well etc.

(we are passing a gay marriage law that gets around the problem -- of
homophobia in the Church of England -- by being called The Civil Partnership
Act)

  That seems to be more important to millions in this
VC> country than their own self interest.  By the way, I have decent coverage

I am glad to hear that

VC> but I am one of the people that has withdrawn support to AARP.

good.

Judy

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK