[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a rant

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 21:48:39 -0700 (PDT)

So it's all or nothing.&nbsp; That's as good an excuse to eat the stuff as
any.&nbsp; Like I said, 6.599 billion people will nod in delighted agreement
for that permission.
&nbsp;
For Mike, I realized that what you're probably saying is that you hate money so
how can you worship it.&nbsp; Angel or devil, it's still a deity.&nbsp;&nbsp;

From: David Wright &lt;wright@xxxxxxxx&gt;
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 24, 2008, 3:59 AM

Religion is what we choose to venerate.&nbsp; You venerate a certain
lifestyle.&nbsp; Call yourself a Jain, if you will, though it would be as false
as your claim to veggiehood -- you do drive after all, don't you?&nbsp; That is
not a rhetorical question..&nbsp; Don't take it personally.&nbsp; I expect it
from the vast majority.&nbsp; I know individuals for whom science is a
religion.&nbsp; It is the difference between critical thought and reactionary
belief.&nbsp;

For example, "I do this 'cause it makes me feel good but I still do this, that,
and the other thing even if it's genuinely bad;&nbsp; I just ignore the
inconvenient stuff by justifying it through my religion/belief system."

spirituality -&nbsp; the selfishly exclusive reliugion of the modern individual,
d.

P.S. Religion = Spirituality = My Way or the Highway.&nbsp; That is to say,
that 'spirituality' is simply a way of saying I reject all the stuff I disagree
with, so that I can worship myself.&nbsp; It is much more comfortable that
way...

Irene:

I'm not sure what you mean by&nbsp;vegetarianism being a religion.&nbsp; Maybe
you need to define religion.&nbsp; Vegetarianism is a choice in what form one
takes one's calories.&nbsp; For some there is also a spiritual component to it,
but spirituality is hardly religion.&nbsp; In some ways spirituality is the
opposite of religion.&nbsp; A plant based diet is extremely good for the
planet, but, as you say, meat is what&nbsp; most everyone wants.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
You're right that vegetable based 'meat' is energy intensive, and it's not what
grows in nature, but it's still a plant food which makes it *much* easier on
the environment than live cattle.&nbsp; Worth noting is that the way
agribusiness does meat is not what grows in nature either.&nbsp; I personally
don't buy soy/veggie burgers except on rare occasion.&nbsp;Too salty,&nbsp;too
processed, plus I just never think of them.&nbsp;
&nbsp;