[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a rant

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:23:04 -0500

IC:
>>Lemmings are a better metaphor, running off that cliff just because everybody
>>else is doing it.<<

Well, in that regard, sheep too just follow the ass in front of them.  But they
don't do the bidding of dogs or wolves.  Apparently most flocking / herding
animals (humans?) just follow the one in front which results in the wonderful
"braiding flights of birds" (Merwin -- I always acknowledge my sources when I
think I might get caught and I know Eric is a Merwin reader and I don't trust
him to his mouth shut) and the astonishing ballet of fish schools.

Mike Geary
Memphis