[lit-ideas] Re: The continuation of Realpolitik -- a rant

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 20:01:22 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure what you mean by&nbsp;vegetarianism being a religion.&nbsp; Maybe
you need to define religion.&nbsp; Vegetarianism is a choice in what form one
takes one's calories.&nbsp; For some there is also a spiritual component to it,
but spirituality is hardly religion.&nbsp; In some ways spirituality is the
opposite of religion.&nbsp; A plant based diet is extremely good for the
planet, but, as you say, meat is what&nbsp; most everyone wants.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
You're right that vegetable based 'meat' is energy intensive, and it's not what
grows in nature, but it's still a plant food which makes it *much* easier on
the environment than live cattle.&nbsp; Worth noting is that the way
agribusiness does meat is not what grows in nature either.&nbsp; I personally
don't buy soy/veggie burgers except on rare occasion.&nbsp;Too salty,&nbsp;too
processed, plus I just never think of them.&nbsp;
&nbsp;