[lit-ideas] Re: The beginning of the end in Iraq

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:09:03 -0500

Andreas: USA isn't going to sit quietly and wait for North Korea to be the first to use a nuclear bomb. Use it or lose it. Any attack on South Korea is a mortal threat to the lives of 30,000 US servicemen.

"Use it or lose it" refers to a strategic nuclear confrontation between superpowers and has no meaning at all in describing a confrontation between the US and North Korea. Why? Because we can't "lose it." To "lose it" means that an enemy strikes your nuclear missile facilities before you can use them. Hence Hermann Kahn's "use it or lose it" refers to the pressure to escalate a nuclear exchange rather than risk losing the nuclear forces a country has.

You call me a racist and a supporter of "terminal confrontation with North Korea" simply because I quote General Pace's account of our force capability. That's like supplying seven or eight steps to a thought--steps that I haven't endorsed at all.

I think China must deal with North Korea, and as long as we step in with bribe money for Kim Jong Il or excessive concern, China will play the North Korean situation to distract our resources and time. We should stick to six-party talks, period. It's a global geopolitical game, remember, perfectly in synch with Chavez's visit to North Korea and all the other little gnats boasting about how big and bad they are. Iran is a serious long-term problem, but not worth immediate military confrontation either.

So stop insulting me with your imaginings of my views. You like peace? Let's be peaceful with each other.

Eric