[lit-ideas] Re: The beginning of the end in Iraq

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:21:25 -0400

> General Grange had a brief outburst that seemed to surprise Dobbs. He said, "Half of the country seems to want us to lose this war! Why do we want to lose this war? We can win it if we want to."

Judy: our generals and former generals tend not to say things like that.

Lou Dobbs was certainly surprised by Grange's outburst, but also acknowledged the truth of the outburst. Maybe it's an American thing: most of the media's world view is shaped by Vietnam. (Remember the NYT started with the "Vietnam quagmire" cry early in the Afghan campaign, and only stopped when it was beyond any doubt that they were wrong.)

But for the desire to see things fail, just review the postings on this List from 2003 to 2004. It's built into the mentality and is beyond argument, reason, or national need.

Bush is partially responsible for reactivating the Vietnam meme. Andrew Sullivan points out that after 9/11 Bush could have said, "We have to rebuild our army to pre-Clinton levels. That will require new taxes and no supply-side tax cuts." He would have got what he asked for too. Instead he said, "Everything's okay, don't sacrifice anything. We'll take care of things. You just go shopping." Then he went into Iraq with enough troops to lose but not enough to win.

So everyone stayed in their state of disconnected suburban nihilism, and here we are...