[lit-ideas] Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 21:46:14 -0800

the sunday wotsit went crabbing
using chicken for bait
we were much worried by a gull that swallowed a whole chicken thigh bone
you could see the thing stuck vertically in its craw
we decided there was nothing to be done
we caught half a dozen big erics
to me that silly made-up name doesn't now seem big enough
big alberts perhaps
after cosby's fat albert
the crab were so big and fat
did you know crab were fat
they leave a residue in the stainless steel sink
i couldn't even finish one
the best moment in my memory of a glorious calm and sunny afternoon was when we
brought the boat to the dock
to understand this bit you should know that my boat
dubbed the quite vincible
was probably fresh when fiber glass was new
it floats
the engines still work
it's stable in the variety of conditions the bay throws
but it turns no eyes
if you are prone to ogling boats mine is one to watch
claim innocence
no you say i have no desires in that department
see you caught me looking at that excrescence
we docked this afternoon
knowing that there's a long drive home
and much washing and pottering
and putting the boat to bed for the winter
before the dark sets in
bob goes for the truck and trailer
backs it into the water
i haul her forward and then