[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Wotsit

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:21:58 -0700 (PDT)

Concrete jungles aren't the problem, and interestingly
you cite cities of the N.E. where there is relative to
the rest of the country still a lot of water (although
I have to tell you, I mowed the lawn on Friday and it
was dry, like in real dry.  I was surprised, but
that's just anecdotal evidence).  The paving over of
exurbia and concomitant destruction of wetlands and
habitats (every hear of the housing boom?) is very
much affecting groundwater.  The U.S. is today
virtually one huge suburb.

As far as the rest of the world, about 80% of the 3.5
billion people who live in cities live in slums.  In
parts of Bombay (Mumbai), there are places where
there's one toilet for 500 people.  So, you're right,
no engineering marvels in a lot of places.  Still, I'm
talking about the U.S., and here in the U.S. we are
one great big highway from coast to coast with all the
roads in between.  Water cannot penetrate paved roads,
and the paved roads had once been wetlands.  Jimminy
Cricket I wish it weren't so.  But it is.

Be a better friend, newshound, and