[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 10:25:21 -0700

It was a standoff, not Mexican, only two parties involved. Out on the bare ice a polar bear smelled us coming and popped his head over the ridge. He was spotted by the captain who, though this is his daily grind, was about as excited as a small boy at Christmas. "Bear at one o'clock!" He killed the motors whereupon we drifted downwind, an impossibly large bit of civ. closing on nature. Not being one of Coca Cola's spokespersons, the bear clearly couldn't imagine it was Christmas. He was suspicious. Yet he approached our food-stuffed vessel with a look somewhere between glee and wonder. To the click of a hundred and fifty cameras he passed from stem to stern, stepping from floe to floe, once slipping into the water rather ignominiously, but otherwise impressing all with the size of its paws, its teeth, its haunches, its jaws. Having postponed our attack on the buffet, we were not yet quite as fat as seals, but he still gave us all the consideration that fantastic prey is due.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon