[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Wotsit

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

A lot of Montana and the other states are now ruined
by mining and other industries.  They are losing
population, it's true, but they're experiencing pretty
bad droughts in the West at the moment, attributed to
climate change.  Golf courses take a big toll on
groundwater.  One of the reasons for California's
fires is the destruction of buffer zones from
overbuilding of houses and golf courses, and of course
landscaping those houses.  Paving over the country is
going to adversely affect the ecology.  In fact,
that's exactly the problem Atlanta is having, and also
Las Vegas and other places.  Florida's in terrible
shape.  They all did zero planning, just threw stuff
up and figured the water would come from somewhere.
Well, it didn't.

--- Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The paving over of exurbia and concomitant
> destruction of wetlands and
> >habitats (every hear of the housing boom?) is very
> >much affecting groundwater.  The U.S. is today
> >virtually one huge suburb.
>
> You're living in a fantasyworld!
>
> >Still, I'm
> >  talking about the U.S., and here in the U.S. we
> are
> >  one great big highway from coast to coast with
> all the
> >  roads in between.  Water cannot penetrate paved
> roads,
> >  and the paved roads had once been wetlands.
> Jimminy
> >  Cricket I wish it weren't so.  But it is.
> >

> No, actually, you are NOT one great big highway.
> Have you ever been to
> Montana? Wyoming? Idaho? Kansas? North Dakota?
> Minnesota? These are
> HUGE states in area and they have no population.

> vacation on/off,
> digest on/off), visit
> www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

Be a better friend, newshound, and