[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Wotsit

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:53:30 -0700 (PDT)

Except that we have changed the hydrologic cycle of
the U.S.  That's the whole point.  A few ditches, a
few drains don't do much, but when they're everywhere,
they make a difference.  It's like the little bit of
garbage that each person generates.  No big deal,
right?  But over a lifetime of 77 years (of course I'm
quoting National Geographic), each person generates
over 20 tons (tons) of garbage times 300+ million
persons.  That's a lot of garbage.  It's only one can
of soda, except that it's 2,000 every second.  And on
and on.  It's all in the scale of things.

--- Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Andy
> <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Also, not having sewers doesn't mean not having
> >  paving.  The exurbs and suburbs are built in
> areas
> >  that use septic systems.  Storm drains line the
> >  streets to keep rainwater from flooding
> properties.
> >  The storm drains channel the rain water into
> streams
> >  that flow into rivers and eventually into
> wherever
> >  rivers wind up, which is the ocean.
>
> Ditches and drains just expedite the inevitable
> [natural] process to
> avoid flooding. We re-route water. We haven't
> changed the entire
> hydrologic
> cycle of the USA.

> vacation on/off,