[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:35:41 -0700

There is an expectation that if one ever were to get inside one of those lives that other people envy, it would feel different. There would be, for example, fewer of those long minutes that come to one in committee meetings, and more swift flights of the kind you get in fancies or romances.

Having spent the past month inside such a life, I can report that fresh bread every morning and wonderful food available steps from your door, wine with meals, and a general sense of joie de vivre stocked on every shelf, is as nice as you might imagine.

"Someone was kind enough to lend me his flat in Paris." These are words to stir a person's feelings like lees in a bottle of cellared claret.

I was that man, living the life of Monsieur Rai-hilly.

Writers report, but expectations-- envy, desire, sequence-- tell us to tell you about the bread shop on the corner and the joy on every shelf. There is no need to mention, for example, the lingering smell of smoke, or the fact that my ear finally just popped, courtesy of whatever virus I picked up near baggage carousel twelve.

Let us focus on simple facts: life's best experiences do indeed delight, someone will always have Paris in the Springtime, you could be next.

Here's two tickets from my carnet, still good on the happenstance line.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon