[lit-ideas] Sunday Wotsit

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 10:45:10 -0700

I was deeply surprised this week by the organizational skill of Wensleydale.
Simply by getting Appenzeller to sit in one egg box and taking the other spot
herself, she has nearly shut off the egg supply.  If the others are laying, we
can't discover where.  From four eggs per day to one is significant labor
pressure.  If she weren't white, we'd dub her the little red hen.  I've
considered bringing in the National Guard or simply turning on the water hoses,
but scientists this week confirmed that feathers were quite common on
dinosaurs.  What if chickens have some ability to revert?  What if they came at
us, all unionized, like Thatcher-era flying pickets, or even like themselves
going after crow?  These things can escalate.  Imagine having to armor up to
gather eggs.  What next?  Bullwhips, leather and German shepherds?  No thanks.
We shall have dialog.  We shall seek a peaceful resolution.  Even Druids are
amenable to reason.

why this evening i prefer staring at a screen to reading a book
i'm tired
it's like gazing into a fire
it demands little and promises much
there's novelty and not even light lifting
i can agree
write encouragement
like
yes it's  a shallow experience
but standing at one end of the pool
takes a lot less effort than bobbing in the deep

I tried to show B. what fun it is to pronounce, "Yellow Volvo" in an
American/Swedish accent.  I've known two mechanics from Sweden and the w's and
the sing song sound, well to me they're pleasurable.  I don't see any harm;
it's simple childish pleasure, savoring sounds.  "Yell...ow Wol-wo!"  Try it.
Then, "gol-den Wol-wo."  "We-hicular hoo-mor."

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon