[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 14:23:56 -0700

Until 1777 Western Man had to make do without taboos.  Then Captain Cook
brought us back this exact word to tag what you and I must not do.  I'd think
God, or someone of that ilk, would have supplied vocabulary earlier, what with
prohibition being among his favorite things.  I'm sure he did; there's kosher
and non-kosher, for example.  Which brings me to owls.  My wife's cousin's
daughter had a new baby this week.  The poor wee thing is not allowed to wear
the Scandinavian, one hundred percent cotton, lovely-to-the-touch outfits we
bought.  This is on account of the owl.  Apparently God does not permit owls on
baby clothes.  A man in a wide-brimmed black hat says so, and he's got God's
ear.  So there you go, the taboo'd owl.  If that were the name of a pub, I'd
drink there.

On talking with other experienced cave dwellers:

In choosing a cave builder, search for someone who lives in a cave him or
herself. Look at their previous work--Pepe, for one, will be glad to tour you
around Guadix looking at cave homes he has built or renovated to get ideas. He
or she should have advice on finishes, ideas about room numbers and size, soil
type, layout, and ease of excavation, and be able to give a definite price
range and timetable for your project. Ask for references, and talk with other
experienced cave dwellers.

http://www.escapeartist.com/OREQ11/Cave_Houses.html

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon