[lit-ideas] Re: Where is Where and What is Actually Happening?

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 20:19:22 -0700

On Sep 15, 2012, at 6:09 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

> From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
> >  This is equivalent, for those of you oriented to U.K. geography, of saying
> > that something that happened in Southampton took place "in London."
> > Temecula is 84 miles from downtown L.A. >
>
> This is not necessarily equivalent, as the size of the countries is not
> equivalent (hence Duluth may be "near" Hibbing where in U.K. terms the
> distance between is not so near).
> Hence the American boasting he could drive on his land straight for twelve
> hours without reaching its boundary and the Englishman saying, "We used to
> have a car like that."
>
> Of course, insofar as Temecula is distinct from L.A. and Southampton distinct
> from London, it may be a mistake to conflate them - but this may be so
> irrespective of distance.

I have enjoyed the joke all through my day.  And since I started said day with
the headline, "Superb Arsenal Thrash Southampton," and now conclude the day
with "Chelsea Frustrated by Stubborn QPR," with in between five non-stop sets
of tennis, I am what the frogs call "de 'appy comphair."  All I'm missing is a
glass of Temecula wine...from San Diego County.

David Ritchie,
near Arsenal,
Heartland-on-Sea