[lit-ideas] Sunday Twofer

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:26:04 -0700

what lugnuts mean to a squirrel
not a lot
is all the inspiration i got
and wouldn't you know it
today i can't see which damn tree the stuff grows
on

I sent out three e mails to discover who was available to play for our tennis team on Saturday, June 5. They were headlined, "Tennis Availability, Saturday, June 5." Yesterday morning one of the guys who had been picked from the pool of respondents wrote to say that he had no idea I meant Saturday, June 5.

Having solved that problem, I went out and about. In the space of half an hour, four folk decided that their business was more important than mine, and so out in front of my car they shot.

On the evening of Saturday, June 5, the number one singles player was nowhere to be found. I called the reserve, who agreed to rush over. As we're talking, with the other matches already under way and my opponent waiting patiently, the number one fellow appears from one of the back courts to explain that he was still finishing an earlier match. He was playing for another club, against our club. Been playing for them all season. In response to e mails, "Tennis Availability, Saturday June 5," he hadn't mentioned this.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon