[lit-ideas] Re: Sunday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 00:05:24 -0800

a pair of has beans

we're going to throw it away anyway so why should i care about a dull meal
if the thing i remember about when we first met was how
extraordinary you made lentils taste
never before had it occurred to me that vegetarian food might be good
in ways that weren't puritan
and of course there were more servings after that
each more astonishing than the next
now i think lentils in tomato sauce and bra-less breasts
were the beginning and
though i have grown to abhor simply steamed vegetables or
inattentive cooking of any sort
as life would have it
in this kitchen
there are currently no boobs left but us
and the fridge has fresh halibut
within

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon