[lit-ideas] Re: Sounds right to me

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <guimbarde9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:22:32 -0330

Quoting Robert Paul <guimbarde9@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Walter writes
>
> 'While I believe that John's surmise is indeed correct, despite W's
> frequently voiced misgivings and his and his students' involvement in it. But
> John goes like, astronomically beyond the pale in suggesting that philosophy
> itself can ever itself be anthropolog-y/-ical.'
>
> If you google 'wittgenstein's philosophical anthropology,' you'll get a
> number if hits (some of them misses). So the idea that there's something
> anthropopolish about the Later Wittgenstein's methods isn't entirely
> far-fetched.
>
> Folks will be glad to know that our power is still on, even though the drifts
> are so high we can't open our front door and have to climb out an upstairs
> window to bring in the milk. Qwest, of course, is unable to maintain my
> Internet connection so I have to borrow time on my wife's computer while
> she's out shoveling snow.
>
> Edyoot sneg—? Something like that.
>
> Robert Paul

The oft rehearsed argument that W was influenced by the Polish school of
philosophy (i.e., school of "Logic") dubbed by certain revisionist and
anachronistic Mutton historians as "the Anthropopolish School," led by Andrew
Kawczak and Vladsimir Okshevsky of Loyola College of Montreal, is completely
without foundation. Witters was much more interested in matters Russian than
Polish. Ray Monk documents this quite convincingly. (Two negatives in Russian
remain a negative in the semantic content of the proposition. The reason why W
almost gave up philosophy is attributable to learning that cultural/logical
fact. "Ya nye znayu nyechevo."

"Qwest"? Is that a company on the New York stock exchange? Some Canadians wish
to know. And why does it promote the shovelling of snow by female spouses
instead of having the female Swedish masseuses perform such labours?

Walter O.
The Snowy Rock