[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:46:36 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2005 12:28:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nantongo@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I mean  does the sacrifier really trot around going, ho, watch me make my
next  sacrifice? It seems to me they (sacrifiers or whatever the active
participle is) mostly just go ahead and do what they think should be done  at
the moment ie what makes them feel good, or, failing that, feel better.  It
seems to me that any analysis of sacrifice would have to center on how  it is
seen from the outside rather than how it is lived from the  inside.

----

The OED defines 'sacrifice', among other things, as "to surrender or give  up
(something) for the attainment of some higher advantage or dearer object.
Const. to." -- and I think that is the usage Marlena is mainly  thinking of.
(Quotes given for that specific usage in the OED below).

Mirembe's distinction between the inside and the outside reminded me  of the
late Kenneth Pike's distinction between the -etic and the -emic,  which I'm
not sure I systematically follow.

If 'to sacrifice' is 'to surrender something for the attainment of some
higher advantage', it seems to me obvious that there is some level of
_relativisation_ already built up in there. Alla the way H. P. Grice analyses
things
like "Richard Nixon must get the Oxford Chair of Moral and Pastoral  Theology"
in
_Aspects of Reason_ (p. 57, quote below)

If Agent A sacrifices x for the attainment of y", it is understood that (it
must be analytically true) that A must regard y as being higher than x -- to
follow the OED definition. What people other than agent A _think_ seems
precisely irrelevant when it comes to analyse if A is performing an act of
'sacrificing' or not.

Cheers,

JL

------

1706  PHILLIPS (ed. Kersey), To Sacrifice,..to quit or leave a  Thing upon
some Consideration. 1710  SWIFT  Jrnl. to Stella 23 Sept., Deuce  take Lady D;
and if I know  y, he is a rawboned-faced fellow..; she  sacrifices two thousand
pounds a year, and keeps only six hundred. 1720  OZELL  Vertot's Rom. Rep. I.
v. 298 The  first Obligation which a Roman lay under..was to sacrifice his
Life in Defence  of the Public Liberty. 1837  KEIGHTLEY Hist. Eng. I. 416 Henry

[VIII]..was never known to sacrifice an inclination to the interest or
happiness  of another. 1875  JOWETT Plato (ed. 2) V. 126  Everything seems to
have
been sacrificed to a false notion of  equality. 1879  G. C.  HARLAN Eyesight
vii. 97  Generally, the only men who can be persuaded to wear protecting
glasses are those who have already sacrificed one eye to their objections.

Grice writes:

"Suppose someone were to say, ... "Richard Nixon must get the Oxford Chair
of Moral and Pastoral Theology". Depending on context, one might find three
different interpretations, all of them falling within the VOLITIVE zone. One
might mean that it is VITAL (perhaps vital to the world, or to some microcosm
which is momentarily taken as if it were the world), that Nixon should be
established in this position. On this interpretation, one would NOT be laying
on
any AGENT's shoulders an incumbency to see to it, that this happy state be
realised, unless it were on the shoulders of someone with a reputation for
total
 ineffectiveness in mundane affairs, like The Almighty. On another
interpretation, one would be invoking a supposed incumbency, perhaps an
incumbency on
'us' (whoever 'us' might be) to secure the result. On what might  be a
particularly NATURAL interpretation, one would be charging _Richard Nixon_
with an
incumbency to secure the his own election to this august chair. On both  [these
two latter interpretations], one would be advancing the idea that it was
necessary RELATIVE TO SOME POTENTIAL AGENT ('us' or Richard Nixon) that Richard

Nixon obtain the chair. On the alethic side ["If he drinks the poison, he must
 die"] no such SIGNIFICANT relativity is observable." (p. 57).