[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:46:09 EST

The word "altruism" hasn't been actually used here yet (unless I missed
it...something that is entirely within the realm of possibility), but it has at

least been alluded to.  It has always been my contention that there is no  such
thing as real altruism because the person acting altruistically finds
pleasure in being altruistic or they wouldn't be ....  what am I  missing?
Don't
get me started on the teaching of sacrifice in the context  of religion,
Marlena.  I would have run screaming from that Bible study  with hands over my
kids'
ears.  And not just because the movie version of  Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe is
an absolute travesty.   About what Disney  did to the Hunchback.  Uh,
apologies, of course, if you enjoyed the  rendering of the book into flick
<wince>
but somehow I'm highly doubting  it.....

Julie Krueger
disgruntled with life because this morning's mopped floors are a newly
muddied mess.
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice  Date:
2/12/05 1:39:22 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 2/11/2005 11:51:56 A.M. Eastern  Standard Time,
nantongo@xxxxxxxxx writes:

What  goes on in our  heads when we make sacrifices and when we make
*sacrifices*? Is it a  different process for each?

Isn't it more appropriate to ask "What goes  on in our hearts?" Or is
that old-fashioned metaphor now displaced to our  heads?

A few years ago, I had to fight a pit bull that was killing a dog
entrusted to my care. There was no thought involved. I could have been
sacrificing a chunk of my arm (or more) for the sense of responsibility
I had as caretaker of the dog being attacked. But I wasn't. There was no
weighing of values. There was just immediate action. And I got lucky,
pinned the pit bull properly and subdued it after a long and difficult
struggle. Only after the fact, did I reflect on how powerful the pit
bull was, how weak it made me feel, how dangerous and foolish it was to
attempt something like that.

Probably a lot of military-type  sacrifice is of that nature. React
first, then do the analysis if one  survives the encounter.

Romantic sacrifice--giving up a good job, an easy  life, a comfortable
apartment, to be with someone one loves--at least  insofar as I have
experienced it, is also imperative. The sacrifice is not  analyzed. Oh,
maybe a few years later one can reflect on changes made for  love, but in
the decision moments, there is only the  imperative.

Burning a bull for Yahweh may have a purely intellectual, or  ceremonial
and transactional value, but so many sacrifices are only actions  based
on our integrity as people, and can't be planned or said to involve
reasoned  planning.

Eric