[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:25:03 EST

In a message dated 2/13/2005 12:39:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
thank  you for the reference and the link, Robert

---- In Kantian parlance, it's all about whether motives are pure or not. I
am reminded of Judith Baker's excellent essay in "Philosophical Grounds of
Rationality: Intentions, Categories, Ends".

A collaborator with H. P. Grice, Baker seems to be suggesting that one's
motives (even the purer, altruistic ones) are still, 'impure' and 'cash out',
as
she puts it, in _desire_ (or 'interest'), rather than 'obligation' (to use
Pritchard's terminology)

One is also reminded of J. O. Urmson's essay, "Saints and sinners", and the
meta-ethical idea of supererogation.

Cheers,

JL

-----

_Philosophy Advance Course Information-Winter  2002_
(http://reg.ucsc.edu/soc/aci/winter2002/phil.html)
... and Moral Motivationâ?? Michael  Stockerâ??â??The Schizophrenia of Modern
Ethical
Theoriesâ?? Judith  Bakerâ??â??Do Oneâ??s Motives Have to be Pure?â??. ...
reg.ucsc.edu/soc/aci/winter2002/phil.html
_Recommended Reading_ (http://comp.uark.edu/~rlee/semiau96/recread.html)
... On  whether there is moral worth only in actions done from the motive of
duty:  Judith
Baker, "Do One's Motives have to be Pure?"  in Richard E. Grandy & Richard
comp.uark.edu/~rlee/semiau96/recread.html
_Glendon - Philosophy_
(http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/philosophy/coursesdesc.htm)
... E.  Kant : La raison pure (Choix de ... Standards and Pornography ·
Capital Punishment
Professor: Judith Baker. ...  thinking, intention, emotions, motives, memory
and ...
_www.glendon.yorku.ca/philosophy/coursesdesc.htm_
(http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/philosophy/coursesdesc.htm)
[PDF]  _Ratio 11;2_
(http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bpl/rati/1998/00000011/00000002/art00063)

File  Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Your  browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google recommends visiting
our _text version_ ()  of this document.
... 7 This example  is from Judith Baker, â??Do Oneâ??s Motives Have to Be
Pure?
â?? in
Philosophical Grounds of Rationality, ed. Richard Grandy and  Richard Warner
www.ingentaconnect.com/content/  bpl/rati/1998/00000011/00000002/art00063
_Bibliography of Work on Implicature. % % Author: RH Thomason %  ..._
(http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~rthomaso/bibs/implicature.bib.txt)
... Alan Code, "Aristotle: Essence  and Accident" 17. Nancy Cartwright,
"Fitting Facts
to Equations" 18.  Judith Baker, "Do One's Motives have to be Pure?"  19. ...
_www.eecs.umich.edu/~rthomaso/bibs/implicature.bib.txt_
(http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~rthomaso/bibs/implicature.bib.txt)
[PDF]  _Jan-Feb 2003 Voice.pmd_
(http://www.writingproject.org/downloads/voice/2003%20Jan-Feb%20Voice.pdf)
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - _View as HTML_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:VgK-DzippFUJ:www.writingproject.org/downloads/voice/2003%20Jan-Feb%20V
oice.pdf+"Judith+Baker"+motives+pure&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google  recommends visiting
our _text version_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:VgK-DzippFUJ:www.writingproject.org/downloads/voice/2003%20Jan-Feb%20Voice.pdf+"Judith+Baker"+motiv
es+pure&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  of this  document.
... managed to maintain funding,lack of  NWP Voices Needed at 2003 Spring
Meeting
Pure ecstasy!  Washington,DC,our capital city, inApril ...
www.writingproject.org/downloads/ voice/2003%20Jan-Feb%20Voice.pdf
[PDF]  _1 Building Trust in Divided Societies By Daniel  Weinstock_
(http://www.philo.umontreal.ca/textes/Weinstock_Building_Trust.pdf)
File Format:  PDF/Adobe Acrobat - _View as HTML_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:hjJvST09CDQJ:www.philo.umontreal.ca/textes/Weinstock_Building_Trust.p
df+"Judith+Baker"+motives+pure&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google  recommends visiting
our _text version_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:hjJvST09CDQJ:www.philo.umontreal.ca/textes/Weinstock_Building_Trust.pdf+"Judith+Baker"+motives+pure
&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  of this  document.
... mechanismâ?? as an explanatory device  occupying an intermediary between
pure description
and ...  There are a multiplicity of motives which might in such relations
www.philo.umontreal.ca/  textes/Weinstock_Building_Trust.pdf - _Similar
pages_ (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.philo
.umontreal.ca/textes/Weinstock_Building_Trust.pdf)
[PDF]  _Why Obey? Political Obligation in the European  Union_
(http://www.arena.uio.no/events/documents/Paper_003.pdf)
File Format:  PDF/Adobe Acrobat - _View as HTML_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:OP250x_1JsIJ:www.arena.uio.no/events/documents/Paper_003.pdf+"Judith+
Baker"+motives+pure&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google  recommends visiting
our _text version_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:OP250x_1JsIJ:www.arena.uio.no/events/documents/Paper_003.pdf+"Judith+Baker"+motives+pure&hl=en&ie=U
TF-8)  of this  document.
... 14 Motives for compliance:  focussing on contingent compliers 15
Contingent compliance
17 ... Page  16. - 15 Motives for compliance: focussing on contingent
compliers  ...
_www.arena.uio.no/events/documents/Paper_003.pdf_
(http://www.arena.uio.no/events/documents/Paper_003.pdf)
[PDF]  _Building Trust in Divided Societies*_
(http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/links/doi/10.1111/1467-9760.00078/abs/)
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available.  Google recommends visiting
our _text  version_ ()  of this  document.
... Trust involves a hopeful attitude  regarding other people's motives, and
as in all
cases of ... 27  On this issue,see Judith Baker,``Trust and rationality,''
Paci®c  ...
www.blackwell-synergy.com/  links/doi/10.1111/1467-9760.00078/abs/
_Episode 18 - Conspiracies Part 1_
(http://www.eternallove.org/prey/stories/sue/ep18-02.html)
... "I'm Judith Baker," she says ... I won't  take that risk without being
sure of your motives,
and you have to  admit, your reputation precedes you ... "Pure and simple.