[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:00:25 EST

In a message dated 2/13/2005 7:52:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
libraryofsocialscience@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
irrational self-sacrifice in the name of the nation, the =
way
in  which soldiers were asked to go to their deaths by getting out of
trenches  and walking into machine gun fire during the First World  War.

-----

Well, yes, and if you think of it, the whole idea seems to have lost its
historical meaning when you think that the hymn (mentioning 'the final
sacrifice') was played during the memorial service of Diana, Princess of Wales,

because it had" al­ways been a fa­vo­rite since school­days.â??

Must say it's a very good rhyme, "pays the price", 'the final sacrifice'.
And to think that the haunting melody was composed (by Holst to honour Jupiter)

before the lyricist was thinking of sacrifice at all.

Cheers,

JL

------
_http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/v/ivow2the.htm_
(http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/v/ivow2the.htm)

I vow to thee, my countryâ??all earthly things aboveâ??
Entire and whole and  perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love  that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the  best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the  price,
*****-> The love that makes undaunted the  final sacrifice.
And thereâ??s another country, Iâ??ve heard of long agoâ??
Most dear to them  that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we  may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is  suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And  her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are  peace.