[lit-ideas] Sacrifice

  • From: atri2715@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (at)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:24:45 -0500

>There were no agents on the battlefields of WW I except individual soldiers.

Of course the soldiers didn't want to die. But neither did they want to
appear cowardly, weak or lacking in backbone.  One must remember the social
opprobium associated to cowardice and desertion in the military; and the
corresponding praise in every culture for those who fight well.
Additionally, as I understand, at the height of the conflict all major
armies in WWI had standing orders to court martial or simply just shoot at
soldiers who broke ranks. WWI was serious business.  Insane, meaningless, a
geopolitical blunder -- but  serious at trench level.  The prospect of
breaking ranks was in some ways worse than that of going "over the top". The
rational choice in the trenches, as crazy as it may sound to us, was
probably to just follow the orders and ask questions later. Chain of
command. That's what armies are all about.

Alex T.
Boston