[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:47:38 EST

<<It is  difficult to emphasize with those men,>>
Can I submit this to the Bushism's  site?
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice  Date:
2/13/05 12:37:54 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> He is proud that even though his troops were  "melting away under fire,"
the soldiers
> continued to advance "in  admirable order." In the face of the barrage of
bullets, his men
> did  not waver, break ranks, or attempt to come back.

It is difficult to  emphasize with those men, to understand what they were
thinking and
feeling  as they marched to their death. Did they realize they were going to
die? Did  each
see his fellows ahead falling down? What led the individuals to supress
their personal
thoughts and take on the will of the group?

The event  is unbelievable. If it hadn't happened, one couldn't imagine that
such a thing
could happen.

It would be quite a challenge to write a novel from the  point of view of one
of those men
and let the reader understand how they  felt and why they did that.

There's also the Jones Town mass suicide and  the various cult suicides,
where everyone in
the group takes on a  no-other-possibilities view.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com