[lit-ideas] Re: Sacrifice

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:35:14 +0000

Sunday, February 13, 2005, 6:25:03 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

Jac> In a message dated 2/13/2005 12:39:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Jac> judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Jac> thank  you for the reference and the link, Robert

Jac> ---- In Kantian parlance, it's all about whether motives are pure or not. I
Jac> am reminded of Judith Baker's excellent essay in "Philosophical Grounds of
Jac> Rationality: Intentions, Categories, Ends".

Jac> A collaborator with H. P. Grice, Baker seems to be suggesting that one's
Jac> motives (even the purer, altruistic ones) are still, 'impure' and 'cash
out', as
Jac> she puts it, in _desire_ (or 'interest'), rather than 'obligation' (to use
Jac> Pritchard's terminology)

Is she perhaps confusing motive (prior) with psychological state
(effect)? If not, is what she's saying somewhat empty?

-- I see what you mean but am not convinced that in the real world, it
makes much difference

but then some of the rationality lot make me a bit ratty, I may be
displacing that on her.

Jac> One is also reminded of J. O. Urmson's essay, "Saints and sinners", and the
Jac> meta-ethical idea of supererogation.

oh dear, something else to try to read!

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx