[jhb] Re: IVAO and Unwelcome ATC

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:34:44 +0100

OK. Let's start with the basic ILS from the RWY. As you can see from the
plate you leave RWY on 100 (if Cat C or D) going out to 8 DME IRY.

For the first run I'll vector you to the RWY on an easterly heading so you
can go direct into the outbound procedure. Once you are happy with that the
next stage is to show you that with no radar available it's up to you to get
to the RWY eastbound, regardless of the direction you are inbound from. This
is the bit the books don't teach you.

An approach is split up into three stages. Initial Approach is the first
segment and covers the flight up to the holding stack. For big airports this
is the end of the STAR and for smaller airports the inbound route is
published in the AIP.

The Intermediate Approach is the segment from the holding stack to the start
of the published IAP. This is the one to be careful about because it isn't
published.

Final Approach is the segment covered by the IAP plate.

For some airports there isn't an Intermediate Approach. At Heathrow the
Initial Approach is to the stacks and the IAP is published from the stack to
touchdown - effectively you go from Initial to Final Approach directly. At
other airports with just one beacon on the airfield the same may happen as
it is the point for holding AND the start of the IAP. Airfields with several
stacks will be different because you have to get from a stack to the
beginning of the published IAP.

At Ronaldsway we have stacks at IOM, VANIN, KELLY, CAR and RWY. Most IAP's
start the letdown procedure (an archaic term now but it is still using for
clarity) at RWY. So, the trick is to work out how you intend to fly the
Intermediate Procedure so you end up ready to leave the RWY eastbound for
the Final Approach.

This is were pre planning is necessary so you have a clear idea what you
must do before you start the procedure. You can't leave the plan until you
are already inbound - you won't have time to work out the angles.

The important bit is that you have to leave RWY on a heading of 100. That
means you have to run into the RWY on an easterly heading. You can't just
fly direct to RWY and then turn onto 100 because your rate of turn is going
to take you miles off the correct track. Your inbound run to the RWY should
not be more than 30 degrees from the outbound track so that means planning
to arrive at the RWY on a heading from 070 to 130 degrees.

How a pilot does this is entirely up to him. Nowadays you have GPS to give
you positional information so it is all to easy to run west of the airfield
and swing east to intercept the RWY on a nice heading. In the old days we
only had beacons to pinpoint position so the trick was to fly to the RWY and
carry out a teardrop so you ended up coming back in on a good heading.

A teardrop is a simple procedure in that you pass overhead a beacon, fly
outbound on a heading that you calculate for two minutes and then perform a
rate one turn back to the beacon that should (if all goes well) bring you in
on the desired heading.

Say you want to arrive at a beacon (you can practise this anywhere and with
any beacon) on a heading of 270. In this case fly overhead the beacon and
leave it on a heading 30 degrees off the inbound track reciprocal. That
means either 060 or 120. Fly for two minutes and then rate one turn back to
270. If you get it right you should roll out more or less on the right
track. If you practise this with a VOR you can check against the radial -
NDB's take a bit more understanding to interpret course deviation.

If you practise teardrops and get the hang of them then you can guarantee
that you should have no trouble flying to any navaid or fix and can leave
that position on any specified heading. Practising this is worth its weight
in gold.