[jhb] IVAO and Unwelcome ATC

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 18:52:04 +0100

Is there a mechanism for feeding comments and requests into IVAO?

I ask because just as I was about to join, for the odd 45 mins of local VFR flight in the IOM, I noticed that Scottish Control had just switched on. Past experience suggests he will contact me, insisting on giving clearances etc, despite my being VFR and despite my being outside his zone. When I mentioned this to him, a couple of weeks ago, he said that if London Control isn't covered then he handles this as well. So I've logged off. Why? Because it's nice to have the occasional low profile flight, without the sound of RT intruding into other rooms. It's also pleasant to be able to fly without reference to ATC, when the real world rules would be permitting this. If RW pilots could only fly under ATC control, then I guess there'd be fewer of them.

I appreciate the chap might mean well and might like to talk to flyers but a look at IVAPEye shows that he has 4 IFR flights in his area, or shortly to be in it.. If pilots, quite reasonably, have to obey the rules, then the same criteria should apply to controllers. Another very valid reason for not being enthusiastic about his unneccesary involvement is that we've assured our less experienced members that VFR flights, outside controlled airspace, will leave them not having to worry about ATC contacts until they feel they are ready. At the moment that should bear the caveat; provided it's in the South of England, where the London Controller reacts normally to VFR flights.

Any suggestions on who I might tactfully put this view to? Or reasons why others think I'm being unreasonable.