Re: jaws 6 .0 best feature bad implementation

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:05:37 -0800

Francis,
I frequent both of these Web sites, every day, and though I have to believe
what you say, I have little or none of the same problem with the New York
Times.  Most pages load relatively quickly, and I can easily tell when
they're done, between being able to see the page change plus hearing the
status line say "done."

Also, on the New York Times, when I want to back up from an article or its
printer friendly (cleaner for Jaws navigation) version, and get back to the
section index page where I started, my browser most often just reopens the
index page where the headline link was, most often landing me right back on
that link, the way it ought to go.  And from there, I either arrow down to
see what the next headline and ssub-headline are, or pull down the Jaws
links list and go to another section index page.

But with the L.A. times, yes, there's this awful delay, and the truth is,
the page really is NOT fully loaded, not for ages (by which I mean anywhere
sometimes from 30 seconds to a minute or two, and this is with a nice DSL
connection), and this is either going forward from an article link *or*
using alt back arrow to return to the article's headline and link  on the
index page.  I know this, because even though the navigation links may load
and Jaws with Insert T will announce the page I'm headed for, the actual
body of the page just won't load.  For ages.  If I keep doing the backup
keystroke in frustration, then when something finally happens after a long
delay, I find myself three links back in my browsing of the site.  So I've
learned to cycle back around to outlook express or something just to kill
time, and when I come back, finally I'm where I wanted to be.  If I'm
luckily.  Honest, The L.A. times is not designed at all the same, nor does
it perform the same, plus it has such a bunch of flash movies and junk
floating all over the screen and obscuring things to Jaws that I have to
turn Flash off in Jaws in order to get at the page elements with Jaws
sometimes.  The New york times is clean and sharp compared this mess.  And
the L.A. times has a popup (blocked by my google popup blocker) on a lot of
pages, wherever they think their advertisers will get hits and have to pay
them.  Big pressure from the Tribune company, the absentee owners.  "NO one
understands," they've whined to me, "but we just don't have the budget of
the New York times.  We're under horrible pressure from the Tribune Company
to pay our way with the online edition."  they haven't yet let me
communicate with someone who has any technical expertise on the Web staff,
just put these public relations flaks onto me, to do damage control and
stonewall my questions.

I remind them that they're a newspaper of record, just below the first tier
occupied solely by the New York times, and that this is beneath them, all of
it, or should be.  "Yes, yes, " they grumble, not hearing this.

I have new contacts to work on this coming week.  this site is a thorn in my
side.  I can't believe how primitive and screwed up the site is.  The more I
learn about the setup the more pathetic it is.  And the main thing is that
it prevents me from having a reasonably efficient experience on my own
city's newspaper site, which I must use because I can no longer read their
print paper, to which I subscribed for years, and which I sorely
missslapping onto my doormat and lying open on my kitchen table with my
coffee.  but that's another story, and scarcely uncommon among the so-called
adventitiously blinded.

Anyway, honestly, the two sites are not quiet the same.  But with the Times,
Los Angeles, do you think there's any way to avoid the problem you describe
when using Jaws?  Because the cursor I've put on that link is not a "real"
cursor, but a virtual one.  May if I toggled off the virtual page with
Insert Z, then the page would load, and then I could turn on the Jaws stuff
again?  I mean the way I normally use it for this?  Is that an idea?
Daniel