[iyonix-support] Re: CDROM oddities

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 16:49:31 +0100

In article <205da2f553.Iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ron
<iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <53f59d3912jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Jim Lesurf
>           <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I've now put a new version of ClassicRip up at
> >
> >  http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/software/ClassicRip.zip
> >
> > This is now version 0.60 and should work OK on an Iyonix. I made two
> > changes to make this work.
> <snip>

> Hi Jim, a quick test on my Iyonix and there is a problem with finding
> the ripframes file. after I set the csd to its directory it then found
> it OK, so I imagine you haven't set a variable from the Obey$Dir or
> something similar.

I think I say in the !Help to put a copy of ripframes into your Library
directory. I decided to do things this way because it makes it easier if
anyone wants to use ripframes 'by hand' or from some other program. You can
then run it via a command

provided the WimpSlot is large enough. You can use ripframes *without*
using !ClassicRip, so then use it via any other program, etc, someone cares
to write.

This is also why I also included the 'no rip' option. You can then look at
the two command lists on your ramdisc in case you want to alter one before
use. Left them as text files at that point to avoid accidiental running!
Decision based on my own tendency to 'oops!' such things. ;->

> It has made a a file called 1-9/wav 781,600,220 bytes, so far so good.

I'll be interested to see what results people get. FWIW I repeatedly
checked to see that the results I got were identical from those obtained
using cdparanoia. *However* this will only be the case if the disc and
drive are in reasonably good health. So if you get any non-zero 'alignment'
values reported, use cdparanoia for the disc!

One interesting point here is that  my Iyonix has a Sony CD-RW drive. With
that, ripframes will rip at about x18 speed. Whereas with DVD drives on my
ARMiniX the speed is more like x8. So my Iyonix is *much* faster. Given
that the drive also tends to read 'difficult' CDRs well I think I'll
continue to use my Iyonix for ripping my remaining audio CDRs! :-)

Jim