[iyonix-support] Re: CDROM oddities

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 10:12:37 +0100

Just to let people know that I've made some more changes to !ClassicRip to
fix problems with it working on Iyonix. I announced the latest version on
comp.sys.acorn.announce on the 15th. I left the version numbers at 0.60i,
but the versions available from the 15th onward have some improvements
relevant for Iyonix use. So if you have a version downloaded before the
15th I recommend you replace it with the current one available from

 http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/software/ClassicRip.zip

Note that the new version has a new user-settaable variable, 'trim'. This
deals with a problem I found on my Iyonix where the size of the disc
contents returned by the CD_ swis is one frame too big. So the end of
ripping the last track with 'ripframes' generates an error, and the file
ends up longer than one ripped with 'cdparanoia'. More details in the !Help
file.

I can now get indentical results using cdparanoia and ripframes on my
Iyonix, but this needs a 'trim' value of '1' whereas this value has to be
'0' on my ARMiniX's.

A curio is that rips made with my Iyonix drives are offset 41 samples from
those made using ARMiniX. In both cases, on a given machine, ripframes and
cdparanoia give the same results. This is odd because cd audio is 'framed'
at low level in chunks that are *not* 41 sample paris long. But then it is
also odd that the CD_ swis return different content sizes. However that may
be a difference beween OS versions for some reason.

Jim